Being Period Confident

periods
Here’s a question: are you period confident?
Why are we so worried about talking about periods? I remember when I first got mine, aged 12 and a long time before some of my friends, I lied for months about having started because I was embarrassed by it. I used to be petrified changing for PE incase someone spied my pad in my Hello Kitty knickers. I was definitely not period confident. Bleeding monthly has been a feature of my life for 8 years now and probably will be for the next 30, and I’ve become less embarrassed by it.
So, when Fab Little Bag reached out to me to talk openly about ‘Aunt Irma’ and how we should all be period confident, it was a real no-brainer. Fab Little Bags are a convenient way to dispose of tampons, because it came to their attention that women flush their tampons down the toilet because the idea of putting them in the bin is incredibly embarrassing. Personally, I’ve never flushed my tampons – my mother taught me better than that – but the fact women do because they’re embarrassed really surprised me. What are we so embarrassed about ladies? Without further ado, I am going to be sharing with you my tips on being period confident.
Realise you’re not the only one!

50% of the population of the world possess a uterus, and most of these people menstruate. And also, despite what you might think, most of the population who don’t have a womb (mainly men!) don’t have a problem with periods because they know it’s natural too. I was a little scared the first time I came onto my period in the infancy of my relationship but because Johnny isn’t a ridiculous human being who pretends that bodily functions don’t exist because they’re not conventionally sexy, and any person who does have an issue with periods isn’t worth your time!
Periods generally mean you are healthy!

I can’t speak for everyone, but a regular period usually means that you are healthy and everything downstairs is working the way it should. It means you’re very likely to be fertile (although not always) and missing and having very irregular periods can be a sign that your diet isn’t correct, or that you may have some underlying health issues. If you keep in mind that while your period can be a pain while it’s happening, it’s a sign that you’re functioning properly as a human being!
Find the right products for you!

Period products aren’t a one size fits all kind of deal. Some people prefer pads, some people prefer tampons and some people prefer other, more sustainable methods like the MoonCup. Finding the right products for you can really help you feel your best when it’s womb week. For example, I’m really loving the Always Infinity pads for sleeping in at the moment. They’re so comfortable and really absorbent for overnight wear so you don’t have to worry about leaking while you’re sleeping. And of course, products for disposal are always useful, so pick yourself up some Fab Little Bags as well!
It’s difficult to embrace something that society shames us for, but just remember that you are a strong, independent owner of a bomb-ass reproductive system and it doing its job is nothing to be ashamed of. What are your tips for being period confident?

*This post is part of a collaboration with Fab Little Bag.

1. August 8, 2017 / 5:08 pm

Yes, yes and yes!! I remember trying to tell someone once that tanpons are not meant to be flushed and she looked at me like I had three heads! šŸ˜© I personally don't use tampons because they make my cramps worse, but have always been interested to try out a menstrual cup to see if they'd work any better! Great post šŸ’›

2. August 8, 2017 / 8:06 pm

I agree! I know for a fact you and I are not worried about talking about intimate things – haha! X

3. August 9, 2017 / 10:16 am

I definitely agree with you that finding the right product for you is so important. Especially now they're is so many intimate products out there – I've amazing things about the mooncup. I've really enjoyed this post x

Kayleigh Zara šŸŒæwww.kayleighzaraa.com

4. August 9, 2017 / 10:28 am

I was an early bloomer and exactly the same – I used to be mortified about my period! I 100% agree that finding the right product is so important too. I absolutely love this brand concept – so practical!
    Jen, Velvet Spring x

5. August 9, 2017 / 5:02 pm

I wouldn't necessarily say I was embarrassed but I'm also not confident with mine, I'm still using the same products that I used when I started mine 8 years ago just because I'm one of those people who sticks to things if they work haha! I've heard very interesting things about these new cup things though which I'm intrigued by!
    Alice Xx

6. August 10, 2017 / 10:14 am

I've heard them too, scared to buy one though in case I hate it! X

7. August 10, 2017 / 10:15 am

It's easier to accept it when you're super comfortable!

8. August 10, 2017 / 2:18 pm

Ah Chloe, I absolutely bloody love this post! Good on you for promoting such a healthy way of living and for encouraging girls not to be embarassed. I ADORE this post xx

9. August 10, 2017 / 5:25 pm

Thanks to my newest birth control, I don't get my periods anymore. When I did, though, I became a hermit and wouldn't go anywhere or have anyone over. I was always terrified of leaks. Road trips especially gave me anxiety.

10. August 11, 2017 / 8:56 am

I'm definitely not period confident and I really need to be! Like you I dreaded pe as a kid or even worse, school swimming! Now I'm not as bad, the bf doesn't care but I'm definitely still more self conscious when I'm on my period! Intrigued by those fab little bags! Will have to check them out!
    PaleGirlRambling xo

11. August 11, 2017 / 8:19 pm

This is such a useful post. Being period confident is something I'm definitely not, so it was nice to read this! x

12. August 13, 2017 / 3:45 pm

Love this post Chloe! I would definitely say my only tip is – there's nothing you can do to stop it coming around so just embrace it! :') Shan x

13. August 14, 2017 / 9:25 am

Great post, I've never heard the term period confident before but i like it. I'm not embarrassed of my period but I'm not really confident about it either. I have always been really intrigued by the idea of the moon cup as I'm all for sustainability but I'm yet too try it.

14. August 20, 2017 / 5:41 pm

You're very lucky now then. My birth control gives me them but on a much lesser scale than before!

15. August 20, 2017 / 5:42 pm

I'm pretty sure I made it up haha, if not I'm sorry for taking credit! I'm all for sustainability too!

16. August 29, 2017 / 3:14 pm

My periods began when I was 11, and like you I was so embarrassed about it when changing for P.E but as I got older I became less embarrassed about it. The Fab Little Bags look amazing, I will definitely be checking them out!

carriefi.blogspot.co.uk