On Loving Valentine’s Day

Yeah, okay. know it’s a marketing ploy. I know it’s slightly unnecessary. I know it’s cheesy and cringy and kind of a cliche but I like Valentine’s Day. I just do. I saw so many tweets about two weeks ago, when February hit about how Valentine’s Day is ridiculous, created by capitalism and you should tell your partner you love them everyday. And I do tell Johnny I love him everyday. I tell him probably more than once a day. But what I don’t do is get him a card everyday to tell him I love him; that would be a bit excessive, don’t you think?

Hey Valen-haters, I got news for you: literally all holidays are made-up and exploited by greeting card companies and department stores to make a profit. You probably love Christmas, despite it’s over-commercialisation, and you’re not saying “we shouldn’t celebrate Christmas – we should be giving our family gifts and eating a full roast dinner EVERY DAY”, are ya? Even though that would be amazing, it’s not practical. Just like Johnny getting me flowers or me treating him to a new bottle of whiskey every single day of the year isn’t practical. Of course we treat each other more than one day a year but it’s nice to have an excuse to do that. Valentine’s Day ain’t the only marketing ploy people celebrate, you know.

I’m really cheesy anyway – like a big, old block of mature cheddar – but Valentine’s Day gives me the perfect excuse to be eveeeen cheesier. I love gushing to Johnny about how much I love him, how handsome he is, how my life would totally and definitely suck without him. But on Valentine’s Day, I have an excuse to do those things. Society hammers into you that stuff like that is icky and gross but on Valentine’s Day, you can say all of these things, let loose and let the compliments flow out of you like love diarrhoea. Wow – that’s some imagery right there.

I also find it something to look forward to in the dreary winter. You know what January is like – long and dull. Christmas has just gone and Easter seems so far away. Life’s bleak, you’re always cold and your central heating bill is through the roof. Valentine’s Day is like a little beacon of light. It’s an excuse to go out of a meal (or order a takeaway in our case!), give someone you love a little gift and buy some lacy lingerie. It’s a little peak in an otherwise boring month. Pancake Day also provides this kind of pick-me-up too.

“But Chloe, of course you’d like it! You have a boyfriend to spend it with.” Okay, that is true. But I love Valentine’s Day before I had a hot date to spend it with – and here’s why.

Valentine’s Day 3 years ago when I was seventeen and single, I had a Gal-entine’s Day with my friends: we bought Chinese, watched the film ‘Valentine’s Day’ and just chilled out. Use Valentine’s Day to celebrate the other loves in your life – the ones that aren’t romantic. Celebrate your friendships; celebrate your family; celebrate your pets. Make something that might otherwise be a bit of a bummer for single people something really positive. Or, if that’s not for you, go out to a bar and celebrate because your odds of getting laid that night are pretty high. 99% of the people at the bar with you are going to be drunk and single. Get yours, girl.

I also love Valentine’s Day for the 15th of February. If you’re feeling down about being dateless (which you shouldn’t, by the way) get yourself down to Tesco and get yourself that discounted chocolate and half price flowers. You deserve it.

Most importantly, don’t shit on people who are in relationships who are enjoying their Valentine’s Day. Don’t tweet sassy indirects because Sally & Harry are spending their 8th Valentine’s Day together in Paris. Don’t moan that proposals on Valentine’s Day are lame because Rachel just posted a “I said yes” Instagram after Ross got down on one knee. Think that going out to dinner on Valentine’s Day is lame and resent the dreamy looking pasta carbonara Zoe put up on her story – and think it’s cringy that Alfie paid? Keep it to yourself. Don’t moan, groan and take away from people’s happiness because, okay, it might not be your thing but it is other people’s thing and being mean to others about it isn’t going to take it away.

I suppose it’s hard to preach about loving Valentine’s Day when I’m in a relationship but I get really upset when people think you can only enjoy it if you’ve got a hot date. That’s definitely not the case. If Joey Tribbiani can be without a date on Valentine’s Day – which he was in that one episode, remember? – then you can be too.

Mom Jeans – ASOS
T Shirt – Primark
Jacket – Primark
Shoes – Vans

Photos by the ~amazing~ Mollie Manning!

1. February 8, 2018 / 9:20 pm

I love this post! I absolutely love Valentines Day, like you I am in a relationship which is nice, but I’ve had Galentines days before as well. We all bought the same/ similar present for each person and we ended up with chocolate, something from lush and a bracelet, we also brought alcohol to share and it is such a good memory!
    I also love these photos, the jacket is gorgeous!

2. February 8, 2018 / 9:27 pm

Loved this post! I’m going to get all the discounted chocolate for me and all the discounted flowers for my blog 😂 x

3. February 8, 2018 / 10:56 pm

I bloody love this post! Also, I am 100% getting all the discounted flowers and chocolates FOR SURE!

4. February 8, 2018 / 10:57 pm

We need a gal-entines day with the squad. Love this post Chlo, Valentines day is a lovely idea for couples to spend some quality time together! I’m not in a relationship and I can totally get on board with an excuse to buy myself an entire box of chocs 😉

5. February 9, 2018 / 4:13 am

Yes I totally agree with you – I mean I get where others are coming from when they say that they don’t celebrate Valentines day or that it’s just for the shops because I kind of agree to an extent. My partner and I don’t go all out for Valentines either BUT we do usually give each other a card and use it as an excuse to go out for a nice dinner if we feel like it.

Side note: Can we just talk about how flipping gorgeous these photos are ! Honestly chloe, literally everything about them – including your outfit – is perfection!

Another lovely post babe xx

6. Candice
    February 9, 2018 / 5:27 am

I’ve always been that type of person that hated Valentines Day, mostly because i was alone.

Candice | beautycandyloves.co.za

7. February 9, 2018 / 7:50 am

I love this post. We don’t tend to celebrate Valentine’s Day, not for any reason we just never have really.

I love your photos. I really need to go to London just to for PP cakes!

8. February 9, 2018 / 8:33 am

Honestly this is the best best post ! Made me chuckle – also I’m in love with your jacket !

9. February 9, 2018 / 10:17 am

I literally HEART this post! So true! I feel the same, I know it’s a marketing ploy but I bloody love it. The haters do my head in! x

10. February 9, 2018 / 2:02 pm

Gorgeous photos! I absolutely love the way you write, you always make me chuckle and I just really love your writing style! I definitely agree with you and I don’t think that the fun sucker’s should make snide little remarks and take Valentine’s Day away from people – it’s super annoying xo

Char | http://www.charslittleblog.co.uk

11. February 9, 2018 / 7:24 pm

I know I’m not crazy for Valentine’s Day but I don’t mock those who are a fan! Each to their own. It’s a great way to celebrate your love for all those around you though. And cheap chocolate the day after is what I’m all about haha!

Sian x

12. February 9, 2018 / 8:42 pm

Loved this! I am a huge fan of Valentine’s Day too and don’t understand all the hate it gets! Even when I’ve been single I’ve still found a way to celebrate it either with my kids, or a friend. It’s just a nice day to tell those you love how much they mean to you x

13. February 11, 2018 / 6:28 pm

I’m definitely one who loves Valentines day too, I never get why people don’t. It may be over commercialised but who cares, with or without a date it’s always worth celebrating. Xx

14. February 11, 2018 / 6:40 pm

your photos are so dreamy, you look gorgeous! I loved this post, especially the bit about us not moaning about Christmas aha! I’m single but still don’t dread this holiday and look forward to seeing all the love in the air! x

G

15. February 11, 2018 / 6:45 pm

I love this post! I haven’t been a fan of Valentine’s Day until the relationship that I am in now but that doesn’t mean I am going to miss out on the discounted chocolate 🙂 xx

Yasmina | The July Journal

16. February 11, 2018 / 6:49 pm

I was planning on being a little bit of a bitter single about this (promise I’m not please bare with). Valentines is definitely hard to be single but I definitely would never begrudge people celebrating with their S.O.

Celebrating something like Valentine’s Day is something everyone should do. Even if it is to buy yourself self a nice box of chocolates on the 15th. Nothing like being your own belated valentine is there?

17. February 12, 2018 / 10:33 am

I love valentines day and I think I always will, single or not. It’s just so nice seeing everyone happy and sharing the love! Ps how fab is your jacket?!

18. February 13, 2018 / 10:03 am

my husband and I never do it, we never give gifts or even wish each other happy valentines, we save that for our anniversary and even then we dont even do much then (well this year we will as its our 10th year) but a bit like after easter, you cannot beat the discounted chocolate and other bits!

19. February 13, 2018 / 10:36 am

Chloe I LOVED this post!!! A huge piss off to all those valan-haters (ha, love this) who are so bitter about Valentines day. I’m all up for Galentines day this year and I’m actually looking forward to it! It is annoying that people pick and choose which holidays they are going to slate, I agree that people should just keep their opinions to themselves rather than putting people down for enjoying a day with their loved ones!

Sarah | http://www.sazsinclair.com xx

20. February 15, 2018 / 1:30 pm

Couldn’t agree more! I love Valentine’s Day and all it’s cheesy-ness. Everyone just seems so much happier and upbeat and like you said, it’s makes such a nice change from the dreary winter days. Although you have got me thinking anout Christmas roast dinners. Got to say I think I’d love one every day! Haha. X

21. February 19, 2018 / 8:53 pm

Love diarrhea!!! OMFG I am howling!!! This is such a great post Chlo and I literally couldn’t agree more! I love Valentine’s Day too and I don’t even care that it’s a marketing ploy haha! xx