Ditching the Bitching on Twitter

Not that long ago, I wrote a post about the things that I enjoy which I’ve been made to feel bad about. One of those things included eating meat. I’m not a vegan or a vegetarian and, in my post, I discussed how I wasn’t going to feel bad about that anymore. On that post, a comment was left saying she agreed with most of the post but couldn’t agree with the eating meet part. And then she apologised. And it got me thinking: why are you sorry? We’re all different; it’s a personal choice whether you eat meat or not. Just because we fall on different sides of the veggie debate, doesn’t mean someone is more right that someone else. Disagreeing is healthy; disagreeing is fine.

On social media these days there is a stigma around having an opposing opinion to someone else in fear of causing ‘drama’ – seeing a tweet you really disagree with and biting your tongue because you don’t want to cause aggro. I get that but there’s a difference between challenging someone’s point of view and being downright disrespectful. A few months ago, back before the whole Zoella Advent Calendar debate made it to mainstream media, I saw a tweet I couldn’t help but reply to on the matter. A girl who I followed on Twitter tweeted something along the lines of “I don’t see why everyone’s so upset about the price of Zoella’s calendar”. I replied explaining why people were annoyed and she got really defensive, accused me of being lazy because I was replying to her tweet in the middle of the day in a Thursday (she probably did have a point there) and then she promptly blocked me. It was only until after I realised she had ‘Zoella obsessed’ in her bio and I probably should’ve picked my ‘battle’ a little better. This girl making an impersonal debate personal and calling me all the names under the sun is an example or being downright disrespectful and part of the reason that I can see why people don’t like to disagree with people on social media.

However, I think we need to ditch this nastiness and use Twitter as a platform for open, healthy debate.

The point of this story is that there was no need for that difference in opinion to get personal. You’re always going to find people in life who don’t share the same opinion as you. Whether that be something serious like politics or religion or whether it’s something more trivial like which Kardashian is the best (it’s Kim, by the way) or which sandwich filling is your favourite (mine’s chicken and stuffing, just a head’s up), nobody is going to agree with you on absolutely everything. And, if you find someone who does you should be very afraid because that means cloning is here and you should run. My favourite people in the world are people you can have a disagreement with without falling out for good. I am a naturally argumentative person. When I see something I don’t agree with, I want to challenge it. I guess, in a way, that’s why I’m studying politics and why I always enjoyed going to debating club at school. My favourite English lessons would be ones where we had class debates and I’d loathe it if the teacher put me on the side that I didn’t agree with because I really enjoying challenging opinions I don’t agree with.

And this is coming from someone who’s been on the end of abuse. Some of you may remember but back in the summer I innocently tweeted to alert people that MAC had now decided to allow a student discount. As a student and beauty lover, I tweeted my excitement about this. A very large vegan account got a hold of this and retweeted it to her followers and I found myself on the receiving end of a tonne of abuse. I had death threats sent to my email, people DMing me saying my life was worth less than a rabbit’s and one pretty disgusting tweet from one guy wishing infertility upon me so that I’d never have children to push my non-vegan agenda on to (which I don’t have, I love vegans, I just bought a lipstick from MAC once). I guess this is the kind of abuse people are worried about receiving from tweeting an opinion. But this wasn’t even me tweeting an opinion; all I said in the tweet was that I was excited that MAC had student discount. Sometimes it doesn’t matter what you tweet, people are still going to grab hold of it and make it negative.

Some people hate confrontation and I used to tell everyone I did because I thought it made me a better person to just agree with everyone. But as I grew older and started to know my own mind a bit more I decided I didn’t want to be a little ‘yesman’ anymore. There seems to be a fear, especially in the blogging community, about expressing opinions in fear of getting attacked and I’ve had enough. But it’s so healthy to disagree with people. It’s so healthy to hear and understand other people’s points of views. I’ll say it once and I’ll say it a thousand times: disagreeing with someone is fine. It’s about how you handle the debate. Don’t get nasty; don’t make it personal; never argue with someone you don’t respect or understand. It’s when you don’t understand where someone is coming from that it’s easy to divert the argument and make it about something else. When you don’t respect someone, you’re less likely to remain respectful with your language.

Obviously, some people don’t deserve your respect with their opinions. If someone’s opinion is that – oh, I don’t know – a wall should be built between America and Mexico to keep out immigrants, it’s pretty hard to respect that opinion as a well adjusted and tolerant human being. Therefore I would argue that perhaps you shouldn’t get into a Twitter spat with someone about that because you’re likely to a) receive abuse and therefore b) you’re more likely to abuse. Go into debates with an open mind, be respectful and if you know that someone is a troll or just trying to get a rise from you – Menimists are the best at this – then use that handy ‘mute’ button that Twitter provides you with. But, if you see someone on your Twitter timeline saying “I really don’t understand the hype around Jeremy Corbyn; I don’t know much about him but he doesn’t seem that great” but you’ve got a #JezzaForLife tattoo on your left bum cheek and you want to educate this person respectfully about why you think Jeremy is the one then do so. It’s healthy to debate and for some people (me) it’s really fun.

Just be careful how you phrase your views. One of the most annoying things I find on Twitter is the idea that you’re not allowed your own opinion. Know when your viewpoint might be welcomed, and when it might not be. For example, it’s rude to reply to Linda’s tweet about cooking herself a lovely steak dinner with “I hate red meat and it’s really bad for you”. It wouldn’t be rude to reply to Linda’s tweet about the benefits of eating red meat with your views on why it’s bad for you. That would be starting a pleasant discussion that you both could learn from.

I did a Twitter poll and 88% of people said they were often too scared to share their opinions on certain subjects on Twitter in fear of being attacked by a certain group or person. I think this fear of attack and the current climate of Twitter where there’s a new ‘someone is over party’ every day is a reason why people are scared to openly express their views on certain subjects or engage in a healthy debate. In my opinion, there’s nothing wrong with having an opinion and expressing it. There’s also nothing wrong with not expressing your opinions on social media. My point of this huge, 1300 word ramble is that I wish that Twitter was a more open platform for debate and people were less scared to disagree with others. It’s so normal to have opposing opinions and so healthy to express them, but Twitter has turned people off the idea of debate.

Can 2018 be the year of debate and exploring other people’s values instead of witch hunts and name calling?

1. February 18, 2018 / 10:47 pm

Yes yes yes to this chlo. There’s SUCH a difference between a healthy debate and difference of opinion over just downright nastiness and bullying! I actually don’t tweet half my thoughts anymore because of other bloggers getting defensive and nasty 😩

February 24, 2018 / 2:23 pm

It’s a bloody pile on whenever you or I tweet an opinion about anything!!

2. February 18, 2018 / 10:51 pm

Great Post and I do have to admit I’m too scared to write my opinions as well as arguing any bitchiness I see on Twitter.
    Sarah X

February 24, 2018 / 2:23 pm

Me too sometimes 🙁

3. February 19, 2018 / 2:38 am

YES girl this is so important! I’m so over the witch hunts just because someone has a different opinion to you.

February 24, 2018 / 2:23 pm

I know right, aren’t they pathetic?

4. February 19, 2018 / 10:03 am

Great post! I definitely agree with you, twitter should be a place for healthy debates but instead it’s turned into a place for needless abuse and it’s quiet disappointing!

February 24, 2018 / 2:23 pm

It is so disappointing!

5. February 19, 2018 / 10:23 am

COULDN’T agree with you more here! It can be pretty daunting to share your honest and own opinion on social media, or pose a debate, as people are very very quick to take the defensive stance. Pretty sad really when we are all entitled to an opinion, but only when it suits others!

February 24, 2018 / 2:24 pm

Exactly – funny how the people who start the arguments are usually the ones getting uppity when someone challenges their opinions!

6. February 19, 2018 / 11:17 am

I am quite opinionated, but I like to think that I respect and understand other people’s opinions too. However, I am petrified to speak out of term on Twitter because I think I would cry if anyone attacked me personally haha.. It is sad that we can’t even have a healthy debate these days and that there are nasty people out there who get super defensive (I really dislike unnecessary defensiveness..) and their immediate reaction is to attack someone they don’t even know xo

Char | http://www.charslittleblog.co.uk

February 24, 2018 / 2:24 pm

Literally, trolls who personally attack are the worst! x

7. February 19, 2018 / 12:05 pm

great post, i completely agree with you.. I cannot stand bitchy people on twitter, and have in fact had to block a load because I couldn’t believe the sheer meanness to come out of these so called ‘nice’ people… you are better off without that negativity in your life x

February 24, 2018 / 2:25 pm

Some people are so nasty and it’s so unsoliticed!

8. February 19, 2018 / 12:55 pm

I totally agree, you can’t do right for wrong these days x

February 24, 2018 / 2:25 pm

9. Emma
    February 19, 2018 / 12:56 pm

PREACH IT SIS! I hate bitchy twitter so much – if Instagram could fix their algorithm I’d live there permanently! PS you’re right, Kim is the best Kardashian.
    Emma | emmadrury.com

February 24, 2018 / 2:25 pm

Kim S L A Y S ! <3

10. February 19, 2018 / 1:38 pm

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but like you say, for the most part, you must respect it whether you agree or not. I think ultimately it depends on the topic and how someone says something. For me, I want to go into sports journalism so I’m already inundated with tweets saying I don’t know what I’m talking about because I’m a woman talking about sports. Debate is healthy but when people stark attacking you, that’s no okay! PS Kourtney is the best Kardashian haha!

Sian x

February 24, 2018 / 2:26 pm

Nahh, it’s defo Kim!
      But yes, exactly! It’s all about phrasing and I think thats why debate on social media can be hard because some ways of expression don’t translate!

11. Heather Nixon
    February 19, 2018 / 7:18 pm

I have seen some witch hunting on twitter which needs to stop but for the majority of the time to be honest I don’t see any nastiness x

February 24, 2018 / 2:26 pm

I want your twitter timeline then please!

12. February 19, 2018 / 9:31 pm

So true!! It’s horrible going on Twitter these days as people take everything to be a personal insult and it all gets so out of hand! x

February 24, 2018 / 2:27 pm

It is awful! Makes it such an unpleasant place to be! x

13. February 20, 2018 / 1:17 am

“…disagreeing with someone is fine. It’s about how you handle the debate. ” THIS is so important and so true! LOVED this post Chloe!

February 24, 2018 / 2:27 pm

Glad you liked it! x

14. February 20, 2018 / 7:53 pm

I love how eloquently this post is written Chlo! I totally agree with you that so many people are afraid of a little confrontation (myself being one of them!). I think it’s healthy to not always agree with everything someone says though and that a difference in opinion is good for your relationships, whether they’re on Twitter or in real life! x

February 24, 2018 / 2:28 pm

Thanks Chlo! It’s very healthy for relationships but online it just can get so nasty so fast!

15. February 20, 2018 / 9:44 pm

yes to this!! I wish sometimes you could make tweets ‘no replies allowed’ because when you tweet your thoughts sometimes you get a lot of people who say something nasty just for the sake of it. It’s good when it creates healthy discussions but not for insulting each other behind a screen! xx

February 24, 2018 / 2:28 pm

Yes – that would be amazing!

16. February 20, 2018 / 9:49 pm

I agree with you. Nowadays there are so many YouTuber or even celeb obsessed people that feel like they can do no wrong. And they are fighting there battles for them. So much for freedom of speech! People can definitely get nasty behind the keyboard. I bet they won’t say it to your face. Sending you loads of 💕

February 24, 2018 / 2:28 pm

Yesss – like surely even a Zoella fan can see that calendar was a huge FLOP right?

17. February 21, 2018 / 12:49 pm

I LOVE THIS POST!!! For me to start a debate with someone, something must have really pissed me off and if I’ve got a bee in my bonnet I can’t just leave it. It is rare but if I was to oppose something, I would never go all guns blazing. In the past, I’ve opposed something and then learnt I was wrong which I think is actually really healthy if people are going to take the time to explain why you are wrong, rather than just call you an idiot or something. It’s also so great when you can debate with someone and learn other people’s views, and even if the end result is that you disagree, you can ‘agree to disagree’, which is completely fine! I think on social media however, it’s possible to come across in the wrong way and it’s not always easy to get your full point across without someone jumping down your throat before you’ve finished, which is why a lot of people tend to shy away from saying anything. Great post and definitely sparked up food for thought with me!

Sarah | http://www.sazsinclair.com xx

February 24, 2018 / 2:29 pm

Yes – especially on Twitter where you are limited to 240 characters! It’s not enough for a reasonable debate and people write things shorthand to fit it all in! Perhaps Twitter is not the best designed platform for debate!

18. February 21, 2018 / 8:01 pm

I 100% agree with you on everything, I think social media has made it so hard for us to have an opinion at all. We can’t say anything without getting told off, I have to say though, Khloe is my fav Kardashian tho 😉

http://www.emmalanglands.co.uk •emma

February 24, 2018 / 2:30 pm

I respect but formally disagree, Kim is the best!

19. February 22, 2018 / 7:49 am

Such a great post. Everyone can have their own opinions and it’s ok. I don’t get why people want to force their beliefs on you and dislike you if you don’t agree.

February 24, 2018 / 2:30 pm

Exactly! x

20. March 6, 2018 / 9:53 am

I’m definitely one of the 88% – at times I’m definitely unsure about what is wise to share or not. I do find people can be so hyper sensitive on twitter especially. Part of what I love about twitter is that you’re guaranteed to see opinions that disagree with your own, it’s just a healthy part of society. It’s important. I think perhaps I need to just be a bit stronger and post my opinions a bit more and deal with the wrath regardless. Hmmm. It’s a tricky balance, especially when you’re trying to grow your blog and audience. I guess the problem with just saying what people want to hear is you end up diluting your own personality and eventually it’s just bland and inauthentic. Really interesting post babe – thought provoking!

Sincerely, Sarah xx

21. March 15, 2018 / 2:21 pm

This is what I needed to read after this morning, thank you so much!! you’re such an inspiration!!!!
    And you look blooooody beaut in your photos!